To join this site and get updates on new articles click on the “join this site” button on the bottom of the page. Through this site you can follow me on trips, modifications, product reviews, etc. Please feel free to comment, make requests, or ask questions on any post. If you've found this site enjoyable, or perhaps saved yourself some money and would like to make a small contribution to help pay for the server and maintenance costs please click on the "Donate" button. Enjoy, ride safe, and keep your knees in the breeze. -Jared

Golden Gate Bridge

I woke up at 5:30am with the goal to travel 800 miles, from Orem, Utah to The Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, California.

At 6:00am the air was cold and crisp at around 40 degrees. As I traveled across I-80, and the great salt flats, the sun began to rise and I began to finally wake up.

I arrived to Windover on fumes, and slightly concerned with my tripometer showing 186 miles. That was the longest, straight run on the Nomad that I have ever traveled. I'm sure glad that I didn't run out of gas on the first leg of my trip.

After leaving Windover it was all boring, hot, desert that I raced through, averaging 85-90mpg for about 400 miles.

When I arrived near Tahoe area, the temperature dropped back down to the 60s and the scenery considerably changed. It is amazing how beautiful and variegated America is.

I continued toward the bay area with caution as the traffic thickened and worsened.

As I was getting closer to the bridge, I notice a large, thick cloud of what I first thought was smoke. As I got closer I realized it was the thickest fog that I had ever seen. As I entered into the fog, visibility diminished to about 20 feet.

I only had about 40 mile until I reached the bridge, so I decided to carefully manage my way though the fog and traffic.

When I arrived to the bridge, I didn't even know it. My GPS told me that I was about 100 feet beside the bridge and in a perfect location for a picture, but I couldn't see a thing. I could hear the ocean and the traffic, but couldn't see anything. What a extreme disappointment.



I decided to stay there, in hopes that the ocean breeze would blow the fog away and that I might be able to see something in the morning.

The next day everything was completely soaked, but it never rained. The fog didn't dissipate, but instead it thickened. I slept in and waited until 10:00am to cross the bridge. As I motorcycled, water was beading up on my windshield and flying over me as if it was raining, but it wasn't! It was so foggy that as I was crossing the bridge I was barely able to see the sides of it!

After a disappointing morning I continued to ride down the coastline until I reached Ventura, my destination.

Jared M. Gant

No comments:

Post a Comment